Wednesday, January 01, 2014

The Year of the Horse

Saw the other day how this year is the “Year of the Horse” according to the Chinese zodiac. I guess technically the Year of the Horse doesn’t begin until the end of January with the Chinese New Year, but given the fact that Vera and I have just moved to a new farm, we were already going to be considering this the year of the horse regardless of what the calendar said.

I say that because our primary reason for moving was to have a place where Vera could keep her horses. She has two currently, and while we haven’t any plans at present to get any more or to board others’ horses, the barn does have four stalls and we have enough acreage to handle a couple more should we decide to go that route.

Vera has ridden horses her entire life. Her parents got her a pony when she was four, and she’s pretty much always had at least one horse except for a brief period during college. I’ve written here many times before about how Vera rides dressage. She competes fairly frequently and we’ve had many occasions to discuss similarities between her sport and poker, such as the discipline each requires as well as how both combine skill and luck.

Like all animals -- humans, too -- horses can be difficult at times. They’ll get “spooky” now and then, and occasionally act up in other ways. And of course for those who ride dressage there’s an ongoing challenge to improve communication between horse and rider that can test the patience of the most level-headed among us.

But more often than not horses are tranquil, peaceful creatures that exude a kind of calming influence (in my experience). As herd animals they are quite social, too. In fact, I’m sure we’ll probably never have only one horse here if we can help it, as horses don’t very much like being alone.

I really had very little contact with horses until I met Vera. She’s managed to get me on a horse a few times over the years, but I’ve never become a rider and I’m not sure I ever will. But I do very much like being around horses. I know we’re in for a ton of work once we finally move her horses over in a week-and-a-half, but I’m sincerely looking forward to them being here with us and getting into the routine of helping care for them.

Maybe I’ll even be persuaded to climb in the saddle again here before too long. They’re so big, though!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Rakewell said...

You didn't make a joke about acronyms for mixed games anywhere in this post. I don't even know who you are anymore.

1/02/2014 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.